Thursday, May 7, 2009

Market Day, etc.

Yesterday was Market Day and we had a good crowd of customers, even with the rain and the cool temperature.  It helps that we can set up under a pavilion.  Makes it easier for both the vendors and the customers.  There are geese and ducks in the park and they are entertaining to watch when they wander over closer to where the market is set up.  On nice days some people bring bread to feed them.  I used to bring #1 daughter to this park when she was a toddler, years ago, so she could feed the ducks.  The rain finally stopped shortly before market closing time.  

I bought some wonderful, hydroponic lettuce at the market.  It keeps well, but it doesn't usually last long at my house.  My lettuce isn't quite ready yet and I need to plant more to keep a steady supply ready to eat.  I also bought a pound of rhubarb.  Haven't decided for sure what I'm going to make with it.  I'm looking at a recipe for Rhubarb Dream Bars and one for Rhubarb Custard Pie.  I'm leaning towards the pie since it takes 4 eggs and I have LOTS of eggs.

After the market I took care of a few errands then stopped by my sister's house to drop off several dozen eggs.  My sister, her daughter, and grandbaby had just got back home when I arrived.  My little great-niece was excited to see me.  Made Auntie Barbie's day!  She's the cutest, sweetest, little doll!  She gave me lots of  hugs, showed me some of her toys, and brought me two books to read to her.

Well, the sun is shining today!  Yipee!  So I'd better hang out a load of laundry, and get busy making another batch of soap...probably peach. The Wild Honeysuckle & Green Fig goat milk soap is ready to be wrapped.  After the grass dries I'll be back out in the garden.  I have a little asparagus to pick, weeds to pull, grass to weed-eat, and dirt to turn over.  As soon as the rain is over and the garden dries out more, we'll be planting everything!  The tomato and jalapeno pepper plants I planted on Tuesday seem to be doing okay. If the jalapenos do well this year, I will be making pepper jelly for my family......great with cream cheese on crackers!  And if there's enough, I will sell some at the farmers' markets this year.

So off with me.  I have lots to do today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment