Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm Back! What a Busy Week

Boy!  Has it been a busy week and this is the first chance I've had to blog. 

Last Friday I was a substituting at a local school and we had the worst storm!  We were in the hallway, for safety, twice before the day was over.  During the lunch hour the electricity went out, came back on for a brief time, and went out again for the remainder of the day.  One teacher estimated the winds to be 70-80 miles an hour.  The sky was so black, it was like night-time before the first wave of high winds and rain hit.  During lunchtime a second wave of high winds and rain arrived to pound the area.  As I drove home, I saw lots of devastation:   trees down everywhere; electrical lines down; roofs missing from barns, sheds, and garages; and a large camping trailer overturned, but further down the highway another camping trailer hitched to a pickup truck that was fine.  Folks spent the weekend trying to clean up.  Some people still don't have electricity today. 

My family and I packed up goat milk soaps and my spinning wheel Saturday morning and spent the day at the Red House Interpretive Center in Cape Girardeau, where I spun sheep wool into yard and sold a few soaps.  The Red House is modeled after the trading post of Louis Lorimier, founder of Cape Girardeau.  Louis and Clark spent some time in Cape Girardeau before beginning their Expedition.  The Red House is very interesting to visit.

Then on Sunday, after church and Sunday School, we ate at a local Chinese restaurant for Mother's Day.  Yummy!  In the afternoon, I planted some kohlrabi plants that my dad gave me.

Monday and Tuesday I spent working in the garden: weed-eating, hauling goat manure and tilling more of my raised beds.  I planted a few tomato plants, but still have more to plant, as well as other vegetables.  I also planted a patch of green beans.   Should be enough Chinese cabbage to pick today and I'll stir-fry it along with a package of frozen stir-fry veggies I have in the freezer.

Wednesday was market day and again it started out cool and misted rain for a while.  By the end of the market it was finally warming up and the sun was  trying to come out.  However, overnight we received almost an inch of rain (yippee! I have a new rain gauge....last one broke) so it's too wet to work in the garden today.  I started out my day by washing two loads of laundry, hanging them out on the "solar dryer", made a batch of coffee soap, had lunch, and am now blogging.  

So what to do next?  Make more soap or bake something yeasty????  Hubby likes anything with cream cheese filling or drizzled on top.  Decisions, decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment