Friday, January 28, 2011

Sprouted Grains

Continuing on the bread theme, I've learned about sprouting grains recently. Right now I have sprouted wheat berries dehydrating in my oven. After they dry and then cool, I will put them in a jar until I have time, in couple of days, to grind them into sprouted whole wheat flour. I'll use the sprouted flour to make biscuits, or tortillas, or bread, or pancakes....anything I want with whole wheat flour added to it.

But what's the big deal with sprouting grains? One reason is sprouted grains produce Vitamin C and increase some of the B vitamins. Sprouted grains also neutralize enzyme inhibitors and aids the good enzymes in our bodies' digestion process. Another interesting thing I've read about sprouted grain flours, is that it is easier on diabetics' blood sugar levels. I'm a fan of several nutrient-dense food pages on FaceBook and have several books on healthy eating and that's where I have found my information, plus various food websites. However, don't take my word for it, I'm NOT a medical professional. Do your own research, talk to your medical professional, and decide for yourself.

Next week I will sprout rye berries for flour. And also next week, my free order from Gardens Alive should arrive. I ordered a seed sprouter and some sprouting seeds. I want to try sprouting various seeds to steam and eat, add to breads, stir fries, casseroles, salads, soups, sandwiches, etc. Want to try something different and healthy? I recommend checking into sprouting grains and seeds. Some nuts can be sprouted, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment