Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cheese, Yogurt, and Kefir

Yesterday I was heating milk, cooling it, and then trying to put the container in the yogurt incubator when, I don't know what I did, but I dropped the container and spilled milk everywhere!!! AAhhh! I didn't have any more dried yogurt starter to start over, so I called hubby and asked him to pick up a box at the local health food store on his way home from work. He surprised me and also brought home a box of kefir starter. I've read about kefir and thought about making it, just never got around to buying the starter. It's supposed to be even more beneficial than yogurt and is made similar to yogurt. Heat the milk to 180 degrees F., but cool to 72-75 degrees F (a lower temperature than yogurt), let sit on the counter in a glass jar with a lid for 24 hours, then put in refrigerator for 8 hours. Then shake the jar, pour a glass, and drink. I'm curious to see what it tastes like.

Last night the kids had their monthly 4-H meeting. We went to a woman's house to hear about recycling in our county. This woman is the driving force behind this project and is working very hard to educate people and encourage recycling. Her dream is to have a recycling center in our community, which will benefit everyone. Less trash going into landfills and more jobs for folks to run the recycling center. I look forward to her dream coming true and I have no doubt it will.

And after I finish blogging, I will make more mozzarella and ricotta cheeses. I made ricotta for the first time this past Tuesday. It's even easier to make than the mozzarella and has a nice taste. I'm going to make lasagna later this week, using both the ricotta and mozz. Last night I mentioned to our County's 4-H Youth Education Coordinator that if any of the 4-H Clubs wanted to learn how to make cheese, to let me know. We have plenty of milk right now and I'd be happy to have them over. Both she and our guest speaker said they'd love to come make cheese. Told them all they had to do was give me a call and we'd pick a time. And with that, I'm off to make cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment