Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baby Goats!!!!

Lots of excitement at Patchwork Acres today! First of all, it's my eldest daughter's 23rd birthday. Next, one of the mama goats had twin babies to show my husband when he went to the barn for morning milking chores, in the COLD! The high for today was the low 20's. Anyway, by the time I went to the barn 2 hours later to do my morning chores, one baby had died. The other didn't seem to be doing very well and wasn't up and walking around yet. So I brought him up to the house and put him in the laundry room with a baby gate across the doorway to keep our Scotty dog from bothering him. I laid him on a towel and dried him off more, then covered him with another towel. I sat with him thinking about what I could do to try warm him up and a light bulb went off......hot water bottles! So I filled a 2 liter soda bottle and two 20 oz. bottles with hot water and laid them next to him under the towel. I also was trying to get him to suck on a bottle of his mama's colostrum. In the meantime, after lunch I had to go out and take hot water out to the rabbits and goats and replace the chickens' water bottles, which were all frozen. I heard a baby goat cry and I thought, oh, more babies! Another mama goat had twins babies, dry and moving around! Yeah!!! By late this afternoon, the first baby goat was wobbly, but finally on his feet!!! He's peed a few times and pooped, which is a mess I have to clean up, but good news that everything is working properly. And after supper, he finally drank 4 oz. of colostrum. I am hopeful that he will go back to the barn tomorrow. Before hubby and I go to bed tonight, we will feed all three babies another bottle and they should be good until the morning, where it's 4 times a day bottle feeding for the first week. After that it's 3 times a day until weaning time. We have three more does to kid, but I think it will be a while yet before they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment